I’ve spent some time working on a few projects, but I wanted to get back into the habit of explaining what my process is hoping that it might help someone, somewhere. I picked up a few packs of Kobolds from a Rebel Minis kickstarter awhile back, and it was a good break from a large project I have going and it felt great to actually finish something.
Painting a Warband of Kobolds
Below I’ll list the actual paints and materials I used to paint this warband of kobolds, but my goal with this project was to paint as fast as I could to a decent table top standard. What that means is I wanted everything to have color on it, maybe some washes to mix things in. No edge highlighting or more complex techniques were used.
I used my airbrush to apply primer, then a yellow brown color over the whole body and then from the top down a flat red to take care of the skin/tails/etc. Following the airbrushing, I painted the Loin Cloths and Cloaks one of the three colors I list below.
After that, I painted the wooden and metallic colors to cover pretty much everything in the hands of these guys and decided to highlight the models by painting the buttons and clasps a brass color. I did end up painting the eyes black because the kobolds faces looked even weirder without this detail.
I finished off by basing them with some flock and static grass and now I intend to field this group of Kobolds in games of Song of Blades and Heroes with my kids.
Paint and Supplies
Primer (Applied with an Airbrush)
- Vallejo Surface Primer 73.601
- full coverage with Vallejo Model Air Yellow Brown 71.246
- top down coverage with Vallejo Model Air Red 71.102
Loin Cloths / cloaks (random mix of colors below)
- Vallejo Model Color Luftwaffe Cam. Green 70.823
- Scale 75 Cuero Naranja Orange Leather SC-28
- Scale 75 Cuero Negro Black Leather SC-32
Clubs, spear shafts, wood items
- Vallejo Model Color Panzer Series Beige Brown 70.875
Weapons and Shields
- Army Painter Gun Metal
Belts and Eyes
- Vallejo Model Color Black 70.950
Buttons and clasps
- Vallejo Model Color Brass 70.801
- Vallejo Model Color Burnt Umber 70.941
Stones in slings / drum mallets
- Vallejo Model Color Basalt Grey 70.869
Woodland Scenics Fine Turf, custom blend of Greens and a little light brown ballast. Static grass tufts are Mininatur Long Tufts Late Summer (727-13 S)